Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Glass Castle

This is a fascinating memoir that at least two people recommended to me when I asked for my friends to tell me their favorite book (by the way, I haven't heard from you guys about that--would love to). One of my friends said, "Oh that book is awesomely disturbing. I couldn't put it down. I was amazed that someone could live through that kind of childhood and turn out 'normal.'" I agree wholeheartedly. The other thing that I find inconceivable is that this husband and wife stayed together all those years, through alcoholism, infidelity, untreated depression, physical violence, etc. In light of my recent divorce, wow.

Read this book if you ever feel like you're just not measuring up as a housekeeper or mother. It will perk you right up! As people keep telling me, children are resilient!

No comments: