Wednesday, April 28, 2010

bookclub was great - wish you were there

We had a great time at Liz's last night! (thanks for hosting, Liz!)

We had Liz's yummy homemade bread sticks, and Karen's homemade strawberry jam and biscuits, some tasty peach ice cream and fresh green grapes, and some yummy dip Sarah made from I forget what, too. (We sort of wished one of us had made a caramel cake or chocolate pie, but we forgave each other - busy lives and all that. Plus, I forgot to get out the butter so it could be room temperature by the time I got home from work,so I couldn't make this caramel cake I managed to find online. Maybe next time.)

And, wow, did we have a great discussion, too! It kept veering off into our own lives and circumstances, but I think that's how it's supposed to go, right? Reading is how we learn to get along better with the rest of the world, and how we learn to cope with difficult situations, as well as being great for relaxing and entertaining ourselves.
For instance, have you heard how Liz got her revenge on her cheating boyfriend back in high school? Or how much Lisa and Sarah just hate all the Mexicans (just the ones they don't know, really)? Or that Michelle's house is the new neighborhood hangout, but all the kids are a bit older than hers, so it's making her nervous? Or, did you know, that BYU has recently discovered that focusing on academics has somehow decreased the percentage of students getting married - something they must try to amend, apparently? (My response to this, "Oh, so now you can not only think yourself out of the church*, you can think yourself out of marriage? Then, I guess I'm going apostate. Except, wait, the Gospel is true, so I can't do that.")

Did we forget to take pictures? Why, yes, we did forget. Sorry about that.

Liz has a cute little something for all of us. Be sure you get yours next time!

We left next month's book choice up in the air. Has anyone got a suggestion? Also, will it be difficult to meet up during the last week of school?

*this phrase, "think yourself out of the church", was bandied about in my teen years quite a bit. It's a sore spot with me. I will likely be posting something on my blog related to this, soon.

No comments: