Saturday, October 6, 2007

A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning

This is a clever little book. I especially like where the narrator defines difficult words with pithy explanations. I also like the size of the book; it's comfortable to hold. I'm serious; it may be the perfect size. Not to mention that Lemony Snicket is the coolest name ever.

I'm afraid it didn't capture my interest enough to go on to the second book. Maybe I've seen too much Alias lately, but it seems like there should be some butt-kicking going on, or clever deceptions (on the children's part). The children are a little too fragile for me, though very endearing. It seems if this Count Olaf were gone most of the day it shouldn't be too hard to figure out a good plan of escape. And why are the adults all so dumb? Where is DCFS (or British equivalent)? What do you think?

4 comments:

ziggygirl said...

I love the Lemony Snicket series. I've read all but the last two I think, a couple years ago. I really enjoyed them, and then the movie came out. I thought the movie was horrible! They tried to cram in three or four books all into one movie, that didn't work for me at all. So after the movie, I kind of got turned off by the books because then I would just imagine the actors that they had and it would be bad. I love Jim Carey though, he's so awesome.
And yes, I do love Alias butt kicking action. I'm a butt kicker myself. hehe

Marcy said...

Maybe I should give the second one a try since you liked it so much. I also heard the movie was horrible. Are the adults always so dumb in the other books?

Karen K said...

A Series of Unfortunate Events is really strange. I've read all of them, and I thought they were kind of fun, but I could understand why someone wouldn't like them, because...well, they're really strange! And, yes, the adults are always so dumb. Actually, probably even more dumb. It's kind of cool when you get into the mysteries in the books- what all the abbreviations mean, who the good guys/bad guys are, secret places, etc., but in the end (after reading the last book), it didn't really come together much. Kind of a strange ending for a strange series!

Marcy said...

Welcome to the blog, Karen!