Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Oatmeal Carmelitas

There are the cookie bars I made for book club. They're my new favorite because they've got all the good stuff I want in a cookie: oats, nuts, chocolate, caramel, butter--yum!
Here's the original recipe. Now I'm going to tell you what I did differently and you can ignore it all except that you do need to cook it longer than it says to the second time (at least 10 minutes longer, I think). And I mushed the cookie topping down which made it less crumbly. Here are some other tips just from me:

  • I doubled it in a 9x13 and used 1 small jar of caramel sauce--which is less than the recipe calls for, but it was enough for me. I forgot to double the flour, so I just used 3 TB flour for the whole jar.
  • I will try less butter (like one reviewer suggested).
  • I used regular oats and it turned out fine.
  • Oh, and they're better after they've been chilled (which is great for giving them to others because you don't feel like you have to rush out and deliver them right when they're fresh out of the oven).
Enjoy!

No comments: