Saturday, March 1, 2008

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

I finally got around to reading this classic. Oh, it's just so heartbreaking in parts, though it has some moments of joy too. It's a coming-of-age story, but Betty Smith must have had a rough life because even the romance part is sad.

You might think I'm not recommending it. I am. It's a wonderful look at American history--a glimpse into a childhood of poverty and wonder and family love. The funny thing is that I read this book in my husband's fancy new car and in the Bellagio during a quick trip to Vegas. I was reading about people who barely had enough food to survive! What a contrast.

Laurel lent me Betty Smith's Tomorrow Will Be Better a couple years ago. Same kind of tone. Not my favorite author, but she's an awesome storyteller. It's important to not just read fairy tales all the time.

No comments: