Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Laurel's favorite songs 2009

Okay, somebody has to be first on this, I guess. Just didn't think it would be me.
Anyway, had some time to ponder this, and here's what I came up with (links are to the artist's website, not to the song, because I'm limited here at my office, but you can find a link for the song from there):

I listen to either KUER or KOHS radio, both of which are commercial free, to the point that I don't like to listen to the other stations, because I am now so used to no commercials, I get impatient about them. KUER is an NPR station, so I listen mostly for the news, and a few choice programs like Car Talk, Wait Wait, and Prairie Home Companion. I sometimes catch an interview with some new artist, though, and I have bought a bit of music over the years based on those interviews, like Gabriella Cilmi and Lady Antebellum. But mostly, I discover my favorite new (or sometimes just new-to-me) artists listening to KOHS, the Orem High School radio station. They play whatever the DJ or their instructor happens to have in their personal collection, so it's a wide range of stuff. It can also be repetitious, especially when they change shifts, but that's usually not too annoying. What is annoying, however, is how the DJ's don't always mention who or what they just played, which has me tracking them down on the Internet by guessing at the songs name. Which is how I had to track down my hands-down favorite new artist for this year, Scouting for Girls.
I first heard "She's So Lovely", then later "Heartbeat" - both of which make me happy every time I hear them. In fact, the entire album is well worth listening to. Very peppy, very upbeat, even when the lyrics aren't exactly happy. It's a fun sound, and never fails to cheer me up if I'm feeling a bit low.
It's a tough call, choosing which is my favorite, but I have to go with "Heartbeat". I hear the song, and I know I'm that girl, the sort of girl he's talking about. Or at least, I was, when I was younger. You can find a link to their You Tube channel from their home page if you want to give it a listen. (I assume it will be on their You Tube, but as I can't check from here, I can't make any promises.)
A close second, from another artist I first heard on KOHS, would have to be Mika's "Grace Kelly", which you can catch me singing, very loudly, every time it comes on the radio when I'm in my car. Usually I'm alone for that, but sometimes I'm embarrassing my kids and trying to get them to join in. No, I can't hit all the notes right, but I don't care, because it's just a fun song. Personally, I don't think he's talking to a girl here, I think he's talking to his mom. Think about it, it'll make sense.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Love that Grace Kelly song. I have it on my ipod and have run a number of times to it. It's really fun. Thanks for the post Laurel. I will be posting soon, hopefully! :)