Friday, December 18, 2009

Gingerbread Pigs

By request, here is my recipe for the gingerbread cookies I brought to this year's Christmas party. I got this from the old Betty Crocker's Cooky Book. They've reprinted this book recently, but the recipes were "updated", so I had to hunt down a vintage copy for my own. I grew up with this "cooky book", and there are many family favorites in here. Very many. Mom's copy is in tatters, no longer in it's cover, pages stuffed in a large envelope to keep them from getting lost. We like cookies. If you should ever run across one of these in a used bookstore or antique shop, I will gladly pay you for it. Some of my siblings are still trying to hunt one down for themselves.

Sorry about the smudges. This is a well-used page in the book. Even though I like butter instead of shortening for most cookies, I use shortening, just like it says. I did make one little change to this when I made them last. I didn't have any allspice, and I remembered a friend of mine puts anise in hers, so I crushed about a teaspoon of anise with my mortar and pestle, and put that in instead. I usually under-bake them a bit. I think they're softer that way. When I check mine at 10 minutes, there is a little imprint left, and I take them out anyway. I baked one pan a bit longer, but those were somewhat harder (they were at the bottom of the jar, so you probably didn't get one of those). I like them soft. Mine may be a bit more than 1/4 inch thick when I roll them out as well - I'm just guessing, though. Oh, and, because we're in Utah, at high altitude, I don't bother with dipping (carefully scooping the flour into your measuring cup and leveling off) or sifting my flour when I make any baked goods. We need to add more flour here, and I finally realized a few years back why I don't think I do add more. I scoop my flour and shake or tap the cup until it's level, which packs a little more flour in each cup. You'll know if yours is the right amount more if the dough isn't sticky to touch. You will need a little more flour on the counter when you roll it out, but you shouldn't need a lot more. If you seem to need a lot on the counter, knead some more flour into the dough, and then try rolling out again.

(Side note for flour: I use Gold Medal, always, for cookies. Western Family has a blend of other grains in with their flour, which I think gives it an odd flavor, and also makes it react differently in your baked goods. I use Lehi Roller Mills for breads. Used to use Gold Medal, and it was good bread, but then I tried the Lehi (Costco has the 25 lb bag for about $7), and I've never gone back. It does seem a little heavy for cookies, though, so that's why I have both.)

I use the pig shape because that's a traditional Scandinavian shape for Christmas, and I happen to like pigs, so it makes me happy to eat a gingerbread pig.

No comments: