Saturday, November 3, 2007

The Enchanted April

I first saw The Enchanted April as a play. It was not the most exciting play; Adam fell asleep beside me. I thought it was interesting, though, and now getting around to reading the book after Michelle recommended it, I really liked it! It's about some suppressed British wives who go on a holiday in Italy without their husbands and discover new life within themselves. They blossom. Parts of it felt so genuine to me. Like how our relationships with our spouses just build on every little encounter--either uniting our hearts or driving them apart. The wives end up asking their husbands to join them and the medieval castle works some magic on them....

Now is anyone else going to post about what they're reading????

5 comments:

frenchie said...

Here's the problem, I don't read anything.

Can I write about the ads in the Sunday paper? If so I have a lot to say :)

I am dead weight on this Cruise Liner of a bookclub... but everybody knows that when you're on a cruise, you need entertainment... Care for a song?

Mike and Adrianne said...

I check this blog sometimes to see what books I should find at the library. I am wondering though, how do you find the time to read all these? I get a book from the library I am really excited to read and I'm always disappointed that I have to return it before I finish. Where do you get the time?!

Marcy said...

(Adrianne is one of my best buddies)

You would die if you saw how many books Shannon, my sister, goes through. She reads while watching movies and late into the night and while she nurses, etc. It's crazy. I guess I just let other things slide and then I have time to read. Besides dishes and laundry, I let other household things go undone for longer than I should.

Also, I always have a book with me while I wait to pick Olivia up from school, in the doctor's office, in any line I have to wait in. I can't stand not having a book if there's any downtime! Plus, we just went on that cruise where I got to read a lot during Zach's naps--there wasn't anything else to do.

Michelle said...

I LOVED this book! I read it just after I had Savannah last January. It was the perfect read in the blistery Chicago winter--kept me warm and full of sunshine. It was fun seeing myself in each of the women.

ziggygirl said...

I think we should read this for one of our books this next year. I have heard a lot about it. I watched the movie with my mother in law, it's her favorite movie. Thought it was great. I think we would all enjoy reading it.